Posts tagged ClearContext
Good news! The folks at ClearContext are offering Manage-This! readers a $15 discount on their ClearContext IMS Pro v4 product that is good through August 31st, 2008. Just enter the “managethis” coupon code when checking out.
Also, rest assured that anyone who purchases IMS Pro v4 will receive a complimentary upgrade to ClearContext Professional when it is released. Enjoy!
In a previous post I talked about my quest for an empty inbox and all the tools I tried along the way. Well, I’m at it again. My previous tool of choice, Taglocity, has taken a turn toward online social/collaborative email in their 2.0 release. I’m afraid that 99% of the email I handle is work related, and our big lumbering IT department would never allow a rogue server, inside or outside the firewall, collecting corporate data. Likewise, getting said lumbering IT department to establish their own server would be equally unlikely. The social/collaborative approach might be the next big thing, but I need help now. The final nail in the coffin was that some of the features that originally sold me on Taglocity 1.x are no longer supported in their 2.0 beta release. Given the new direction, those features won’t likely return.
So where does that leave me? Well, I went back to my notes and started to think about what kind of help I really need. Here are the requirements I came up with:
- Need a quick way to triage and file email. Filing must be effortless, otherwise I will resist doing it
- Needs to be a stable tool that works well with Outlook 2003 (yes, I’m still stuck there… see comment above related to the big lumbering IT department).
- Need to strip out the spam and low-priority reference email & notifications
- Need reminders for my own actions as well as follow-ups for requests I send to others
- Must fit into my GTD workflow… In general, that means I need a way to create tasks and appointments from email and somehow tie related tasks/emails/appointments/notes together to form a “project”.
After recasting my net and re-evaluating the latest versions of all the tools I had previously considered, I came across a gem that I hadn’t given a chance the first time around: ClearContext IMS. It seemed to meet all of the needs I described above, and there was even a trial version available… Off I went.
CLEAR CONTEXT FEATURE WALK
After using the tool for over a month now, I am starting to see some nice benefits from the various features. Here’s a look at the highlights as well as some improvement opportunities for the ClearContext development team…
FILE MESSAGE, FILE THREAD. ClearContext does a fantastic job with filing (my #1 requirement above). One of the best features is being able to bring up the topic selection dialog (ALT-P) and type just a few characters of the topic name to narrow down the list. ALT-M will file it from there (no mouse required). What is especially nice is that your don’t have to remember any prefix or top level folder name since a match even in the middle of the topic name will select it. Additionally, You can choose to file the original message while typing your reply right from inside the reply window. Nice touch!
Two needed improvements for topic filing are:
- Please, please, please guys add a >> READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY >>